Ont Road

Ont Road

Sunday, October 27, 2019

11 Malaysia - Papa Hero @ Petronas Petrol Station, Semenyih

Papa Hero @ Petronas Petrol Station, Semenyih

Getting the opportunity to watch any heavy music in a live setting usually involves a 40 minute drive into Kuala Lumpur. However, on one particularly uneventful Sunday, I took a drive out to my local petrol station to fill up the car. When I stepped out of the vehicle I could hear some killer electric guitar solos. After attaching the nozzle I took a walk over to the busking station by the cashier (there are regular buskers in this spot - authorized - and I usually go and take a closer look and give them some money). This time I took a photo of the act, because he was a full on Heavy Metal guy with Pantera shirt. I listended for a bit longer, and gave him a passing wink of the eye as I dropped some money in the donation box. 

Upon getting home, I did some more research on the guy, as I was able to zoom in on his backdrop in the photo. It turns out this guy has 110,000 likes on Facebook, and his sole purpose in life is to dedicate it raising money and taking action for stray & rescue cats. There is nothing more Heavy Metal than that! I found some further biographical information about him, and there is a video of him on Malaysian National TV, in a one to one interview setting, talking about what he does. At one point he breaks down in tears, and it just made me emotional watching him. So there you go, that is Papa Hero. It wasn't enough to make it onto my spreadsheet, where I have documented every single gig I have been to in my life (at last count I was just passed 950), yet his passion, dedication, and musical tastes meant it was a worthy article for the blog. Papa Hero - the Ace Freely of the Semenyih Metal Scene - I salute you!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! That's my bud. A mean heavy metal guitarist and also a keyboardist. A very passionate stray cat rescuer and also a great guitar tech/luthier. If anyone needs their guitar professionally setup, refretted, rewired and overhauled - This guy is highly recomended!

    Do check out his other facebook profiles:

    https://www.facebook.com/phc.ii

    https://www.facebook.com/papahero786

    ReplyDelete