Ont Road

Ont Road

Friday, September 13, 2019

6 Malaysia - Apparatus, Langsuir, Atomic Death at Rumah Api, Kuala Lumpur

Apparatus, Langsuir, Atomic Death @ "Absurd 19", Rumah Api, Kuala Lumpur


It felt weird turning up to the show in my SUV and H&M underwear (well maybe not the underwear because it's bloody hot here in Malaysia, and bloody boiling on the 18th floor of an apartment complex with only fans for air conditioning, which is where RUMAH API is located). For more information about the history of this punk project you can watch a short documentary about it here. The H&M underwear is borne out of a new epoch of thinking about work dress wear - where I have taken a more active step to look good and smart (in the past I always settled for cheap work wear - why pay more to work for the man etc.) and I must say that looking the part helps feel and exude a greater sense of confidence and contentment in my ability (hence why I went so shop at such an establishment) - yet I digress slightly. I got changed into my punk clothes before I set off to the show (black vans hi-tops and a black Zounds t-shirt, complete with black shorts covering up my H&M underwear - oh the shame!). Then comes the SUV - I live in a quiet area outside of town, and I tried for 30 minutes to get a taxi, so I could have a few beers, yet there were no taxis available, so I decided to drive. Despite the lack of drinking there was no way that I was going to miss the legendary brutal crust noise of APPARATUS - especially as they have now moved to the Eastern peninsula of Malaysia - so I had to make sure I went to this show because chances are, they may not play in KL again during the next two years of my contract.

First of all, this was a free show, so it was busy. APPARATUS were about to embark on a European tour, and they will have had to fly out of KL anyway, so this was a warm up show of sorts, and a chance to sell some merchandise to raise some funds, as I am sure it is far more difficult for bands out here to tour Europe compared to those from developed countries. As well as the gig floor itself, there are some punk merchandise and music shops as part of the complex, and a few distros had turned up to sell their wares too. There was bar that sold cold cans of beer and cider for 7 or 8RM, and smoking was allowed in the venue, which made it feel like I was stepping into a time warp - it took a couple of days to wash off the smell from my skin. Even as a vaper, and coming from a country where it is illegal to smoke in public places (a policy I am supportive of), I felt awkward vaping in there.

The first band I saw were ATOMIC DEATH who were decked out in leather jackets (how did they manage the heat for so long?) and played a healthy crossover of Heavy Rock, Metal, and Crust. The crowd enjoyed it, and there was plenty of headbanging all round. Between bands I said hello to Big Sexy Panda, Melon, and Nobby, whom I met at ACCIDENTE show. The next band was LANGSUIR who were a weird type of grindcore band, which is a style I am not that into, so I watched a few songs and then headed to a quieter area, where I met two Canadian guys who live in China, and I had a good chat with them about their experiences there, and about the political situation there - I wanted to dig a little deeper as I am going to be teaching some Chinese history later in the year, so it was useful to get a deeper insight- read here for some 'beyond the firewall' articles about recent events there.

To round off the night was the mighty APPARATUS (the older guy original member and two young lads - likely from Kota Kinabalu), who blasted out 20-25 minutes of heavy, brutal, and straight up crusty noisy hardcore. I was hooked instantly, and I was in the middle of the pit for the first few songs, banging my fist like a true crust punk, (without the dirty underwear). I took a break for the middle of the set, then got stuck in again for the last two songs. It was great to have a good dance at a show, and I was absolutely covered in sweat by the end of the night. As the show was free, I bought a nice APPARATUS shirt after the show, and now I have my first Malaysian punk shirt - so next time I can try and blend in (not). Then it was back in the car for the drive home, listening to a PET SHOP BOYS compilation, winding down from another awesome, bespoke, Malaysian punk rock show.


No comments:

Post a Comment