Ont Road

Ont Road

Saturday, September 28, 2019

8 Malaysia - Phuket, I'm outta here


With school closed for two days due to the unhealthy levels of haze, and my family far away, I decided to take their lead and book a flight to Phuket to join them. I had originally planned to go to a gnarly gig in KL for my birthday, but the feeling of missing my children, and the need to escape the haze which was making me get more sick, was too much for me to resist the urge to join them.

It was amazing stepping off the plane to see blue skies and cumulus clouds. I could smell fresh air again, and I instantly felt better. The family had booked into an upmarket resort called Laguna, and it was no problem to add me onto the booking. This area was unlike anywhere I had seen on my previous whirlwind tour of Thailand 6 years ago - it felt a lot more developed and catered to the 'holiday market' tourists here. It was beautiful though, and the natural environment still felt part of the landscape.

Blue Skies & Cumulus Clouds
The Thai hospitality was once again, second to none - the people on the resort couldn't do enough to make our stay as special as possible. The highlight being on my birthday, where the housekeeping had arranged a birthday message made out of flowers on my bed, and then a team of staff sang happy birthday to me at the poolside whilst presenting me with a birthday cake. Also on my birthday, we went to play a game of mini golf. I must say that the course was a grade 'A' standard - well kept astroturf, long & challenging holes - I won the round on the last hole, so it was a perfect TV finish. 

A massive lizard
The resort was massive (like the lizard), so much so that there were buses constantly doing the rounds taking people to different parts of it. Not only did we have the use of our pool, but we also went to other hotels on site to use their pools, and also to a private beach area that belonged to the resort.  The whole experience was a much needed purification exercise - physically, mentally, and emotionally - it was nice to feel closer to nature again. The haze had been beating us down for over a month and we just needed to escape (and this is where I start feeling guilty for being privileged because it isn't possible for most here in Malaysia).

Cheeky Birds...also migrating for better climates, or in the case of the sparrows in Malaysia during the haze...death.

No comments:

Post a Comment